Monday, April 20, 2009

Priceless..

(originally posted May 6, 2008)
I'm always tickled at Daniel's unique perspective on the world...and I often giggle at his literal understanding of things. Today, there were two prime examples - and I also remembered a third - that I want to share with you.

This afternoon, Daniel came home from school & his weekly folder was in his backpack. It contains all the graded papers from the previous week for me to look over & then sign the folder.

As I looked over his papers, I noticed that he'd made a 100 on his spelling test, but had missed the bonus question that she always gives them. As I read the question and his answer, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I'll type out the question here. See if you can guess what his answer would be. Think literally.....

"If there are two weeks and three days left of school, counting today how many days do we have left?"

Any idea what his answer was? Okay, I'll tell you. His answer was "One day". Now, go read the question again...do it out loud, because he probably did....think literally.....do you see it?

"Counting today" equals ONE day - he counted ONLY that day.. For him to understand it, the problem should have read something like, Including today, all together how many days do we have left. I laughed out loud. Of course he got the answer wrong, but hey - he was right if you look at it literally!

THEN...I was watching "10 Years Younger" on TLC, and he was doing his V-Math on the computer. I didn't know he was paying any attention to the TV, but the host of the TV show said, "We're gonna help Lindsay break out of her shell." and Daniel said, "But she's not a MOLLUSK!"

And all of that reminded me of an incident last year...he was in Math class at school, and suddenly he stood up from his desk and headed out the door. His aide stopped him and said, "Where do you think you're going???" and he said, "But, my paper said to!" and she said, "Whaaa??" and he showed her his paper. It read, "Leave room to show your work." So, he was leaving the room!!

Hahahaha!! Is that a unique perspective on the world, or what?

1 comment:

  1. I so get it, Toni!
    I live this, and you know...it does add so much humor to our lives! : )
    Love these kids!

    ReplyDelete